well, we made it through another successful evening of makers meals! this meal was a particularly dreamy evening given our truly magical outdoor location at wollam gardens flower farm. we gathered together around a table of delicious food, and, if we did our job well, created a space for new connections between dc residents and the makers who make our community so vibrant. it’s always surprising how much work and tiny details go into the preparations for an event like this— it’s no easy feat! but each time, we feel a pretty triumphant sense of awe at how beautifully everything comes together in the end, and all the new people we get to meet along the way.
some of our favorite highlights from summer supper:
- wollam gardens farm tour. farm owner bob wollam began our day with a personal tour of the grounds. we were particularly inspired by the culture he’s created around the farmwork there— everyone who works at wollam gardens seems to really own their work and possess a real passion for it. in other words, if we close up shop to go work on a flower farm, could you blame us?
- guided workshops. we also had the pleasure of hosting two guided workshops— the first of which was in metal spoon-making with Black swan handmade, and the second of which was a pickling workshop from the sweet farm. both local makers and crafters, and a whole lot of fun for us.
- our partners. we had such a rockstar lineup this meal. the bulk of the menu was the creative genuius of chef yuan tang of rooster and owl, all sourced locally from washington green grocer, al volo, and more. our pre-meal refreshments came courtesy of the uber-talented baklava couture, as well as drinks crafted by kevin zieber using spirits from mcclintock distillery and lindera farms— not to mention, amazing wines from virginia vineyard early mountain. we finished off the meal with an incredible dessert pairing from baklava couture and local ice cream makers milk cult.
- the food, of course! okay, so, we already mentioned this, but the food was insane. from the zucchini elote to the carrot tortellini, to the whole roasted suckling pig, we were in food heaven. our favorite dish? the Striped Bass Crudo with Golden beets, blackberry and Lindera Farms vinegars. thanks again for this amazing feast, rooster and owl! be sure to catch their brick and mortar location, coming soon!
- local music. this was something we had not delved into before, but was so lovely. two of the ladies from dc band bearcat wildcat joined us for a musical set during the meal, carrying us into an evening wind-down by the fire post meal.
and if you want to join for a future event (next one will be this fall!), be sure to sign-up for event notifications from Makers meals!
thanks to all of our wonderful partners who absolutely made the evening what it was.
- wollam gardens
- rooster & owl
- baklava couture
- washington’s green grocer
- early mountain vineyards
- mcclintock distilling
- the sweet farm
- cucina al volo
- milk cult
- lindera farms
- right proper brewing co
- something vintage
- lady farmer
- bearcat wildcat
- rachel lyn photography
hope to see you at the next meal!